Friday 2 September 2011

CBC Readers Choice Contest for the Giller

The Grand Prize winner of the CBC Readers Choice Contest has just been announced - and they nominated my book, To the Edge of the Sea!

Here are a couple of comments from the CBC Contest and a link to the CBC Grand Prize Winner Contest   Congratulations Helen!

I love history and To the Edge of the Sea has inspired me to want to read Mercy Cole's diaries. The book kept me turning the pages to the very end. The characters were interesting and amazing with a twist at the end I had not expected. Sir John A. Macdonald (who has on his tombstone in London, England "A British subject I was born and a British subject I will die" was made more real to me. A strange Epitaph for the Father of Confederation I always thought. Great book, great cover, great bookmark. Loved it all.    

A blend of poetic technique combined with page-turning, cliffhanging narrative, this novel evokes a seminal period in Canadian history - a time, I might add, that few Canadians know much about. McDonald's prose is fluid and meticulous, the equivalent of sunlight shimmering on the sea, as it illuminates her characters' inner struggles and triumphs. Lyrical, finely crafted descriptions abound, and every page offers the thrill of experiencing a vanished world via the author's unique sensibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment